Press Release February 15, 2023 – Chennai, India
Top-seeded Indian duo Sriram Balaji and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan advanced to the quarter-finals pf the Chennai Open ATP Challenger on Wednesday with a straight sets win over Frederico Ferreira Silva/ Nicolas Moreno De Alboran.
The Indians won 6-4, 7-5 at the SDAT Stadium to set up an all-Indian quarter-final showdown against wild cards Sumit Nagal/ Sasikumar Mukund, who defeated Yu Hsiou Hsu/ Christopher Rungkat 7-6, 2-1 (retd.) in another first round encounter.
Another Indian, Arjun Kadhe, also reached the quarter-finals as he and British partner Jay Clarke defeated Dayne Kelly/ Dane Sweeny 3-6, 6-3, 10-7.
There was a huge upset in the singles draw as American Nicolas Moreno de Alboran upset top seed Chun-hsin Tseng 6-2, 6-4 to advance to the quarter-finals.
De Alboran will take on Yasutaka Uchiyama for a spot in the semi-finals as the Japanese player upset the seventh seed Dalibor Svrcina 6-1, 6-7, 6-4.
France’s Arthur Cazaux and Australia’s Dane Sweeny also won their second round singles matches on Wednesday to set up a quarter-final clash on Friday.
Thursday will see the completion of second round singles matches as well as all the doubles quarter-finals. Sumit Nagal, the lone Indian to reach the second round in singles, will take on lucky loser Jason Jung in the first match of the day before returning later for the all-Indian doubles clash.
The Chennai Open ATP Challenger is being organized by the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) and entry for spectators is free throughout the entire week.
Main Draw Singles second round results:
- Nicolas Moreno de Alboran def. (1) Chun-hsin Tseng 6-2, 6-4
- Yasutaka Uchiyama def. (7) Dalibor Svrcina 6-1, 6-7, 6-4
- Arthur Cazaux def. Seong Chan Hong 6-3, 6-4
- Dane Sweeny def. (Q) James McCabe 6-2, 6-1
Main Draw Doubles first round results:
- (1) Sriram Balaji/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan def. Frederico Ferreira Silva/ Nicolas Moreno De Alboran 6-4, 7-5
- Petr Nouza/ Andrew Paulson def. (2) Marc Polmans/ Max Purcell
- (3) JiSung Nam/ MinKyu Song def. (WC) Ramkumar Ramanathan/ Vishnu Vardhan 1-6, 7-6, 10-5
- Sebastian Ofner/ Nino Serdarusic def. Dimitar Kuzmanov/ Hamad Medjedovic 7-5, 6-4
- Ryan Peniston/ Dalibor Svrcina def. (4) Anirudh Chandrasekar/ N Vijay Sundar Prashanth 6-7, 6-1, 10-7
- (WC) Sumit Nagal/ Sasikumar Mukund def. Yu Hsiou Hsu/ Christopher Rungkat 7-6, 2-1 (retd.)
- Arjun Kadhe/ Jay Clarke def. Dayne Kelly/ Dane Sweeny 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
- Francesco Maestrelli/ Luca Nardi def. Calum Puttergill/ Akira Santillan 6-2, 6-3
Photos by Srividya Balayogi